The Brahma & Cochin Club of Australia

Breeders Directory, Forum, Australian Brahma and Cochin Standards, Poultry Breeding and Genetics Information and much more...

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > whats a SPLASH??

fluffy duck

i have often heard the term that a  bird is a 'splash' colour and i have been told if i want to breed blues i need a black and a splash - so whats a splash???  

May 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

Hi Adele,

Splash is a dilution gene. As a single factor it produces blue and as a double factor, it produces white. So if you breed a black bird with a blue bird (It's really black but the bird will have the splash gene as a single factor making it look blue) you will get about 40% blue birds, some black birds and depending on what else is in the birds makeup, a range of birds with mixed colours. If you then breed blue on blue, you will end up with some white birds as well! Hope this helps.

Franz

--

May 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fluffy duck

Franz at May 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hi Adele,

Splash is a dilution gene. As a single factor it produces blue and as a double factor, it produces white. So if you breed a black bird with a blue bird (It's really black but the bird will have the splash gene as a single factor making it look blue) you will get about 40% blue birds, some black birds and depending on what else is in the birds makeup, a range of birds with mixed colours. If you then breed blue on blue, you will end up with some white birds as well! Hope this helps.

Franz

Thanks for that Franz, i bought a pair of dark blue croud's, & they are now hatching the babies range in colour from different shades of white, blue &  up to black - the standard says blue, black & white.  How do i determine which ones are the best?? 

May 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

It all depends on what you want Adele! But you will need to look at the standard to see what is required in the Croads and choose what is to type or standard. Try and find out if there is anyone local who could help you with your selection. I have a mate down here who loves Croads but that doesn't really help you! They are a cool chook with those really long legs though!

--

May 19, 2011 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rod Saltmarsh

Hi Adele if it is blue that you are after you should get blue by putting a splash cock with black hens or black cock with splash hens either will work as the blue gene is not sex linked if you want black just put black with black white should not be possible unless it is recessive white and has been introduced  which gets a lot trickier I hope this is of some help

May 22, 2011 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

Your right Rod,

I should have said splash birds (mottled white and blue) instead of white as a descriptor. My error. I even got my percentages wrong, For a blue/blue mating you get 50% blue, 25% black and 25% Splash. I think I need more sleep!!

F

--

May 24, 2011 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fluffy duck

thank you so much for your advice.  I will post some photo's when i get back from Hols! :D  I dont seem to have any speckles ones.  Just different shades from white to very dark blue.  Fanz, have a great time in Queanbeyan - the tropics are great - warm, blue sky and champers on the beach - what more could you want!!  I would love to see the photo's of the show if anyone can take them.  cheers, Adele

June 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

Hi Adele,

Our website has a page devoted to these sorts of questions, I'm gradually adding info but it will take time as its low on my list of priorities. The blue, black, splash info was added several months ago. Wish I was in the tropics right now...its feezing here...brrrrrr. Link below

[url]http://brahmacochin.webs.com/poultrybreedingtips.htm[/url]

--

Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.
Breeder of Brahma, Cochin, Wyandotte and Araucana.

June 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JoelGiusti

mmmmm

June 10, 2011 at 3:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.