The Brahma & Cochin Club of Australia

Breeders Directory, Forum, Australian Brahma and Cochin Standards, Poultry Breeding and Genetics Information and much more...

Forums

Forum Home > Breeds and Breeding > Cochin Standards

Valda Jackson

Can someone tell me if the Cochin Standards especially for Black and Blue are going to be changed to the ideas of the new APS? Or are we keeping it ORIGINAL and same as the world standard?

A standards must stay as it was originally!  What is the point of a standard if it is to be changed when some committee decides it wants to change it? 

The Club and the breed need one standard and one only. Breeders can't breed to one standard for 13 years and suddenly wake up and find some one has changed it. PLEASE make your minds up and let us know one standard for all. ORIGINAL or APS2. Can't have both ways! 

Don't confuse the breed with Brahma as their standard is totally different, just as type is different. Black and Blue have had dark legs since time began.

7 STANDARDS FROM 1800s TO 2010 Cochin are a yellow skinned breed.

AMERICAN and BRITISH STANDARDS OF 1873 TEGETMER- Book of Poultry

BLACK

COLOUR OF COCK AND HEN

Comb, Face, Deaf-ear, and Wattles- Brilliant red. Plumage—Perfectly black throughout. The cock as free from coppery red or brassy colour as possible. Legs Dark, with yellow tinge and black feathers.

AUSTRALIAN TOWN and COUNTRY JOURNAL (NSW : 1870 - 1907

Colour in Black Cochins-In both sexes: Eye, red or black; comb, face, deaf ear, and wattles, brilliant red; plumage, rich, glossy, raven black, perfectly free from feathers of any other color, and sound to the roots, the more metallic sheen the better; legs, dusky yellow preferred, dusky legs without the yellow not a fatal defect.

COCHIN- CHINAS. 1904

The darker varieties of Cochin--- Grouse, Partridge and Black. The legs in all colours should be yellow. Flesh coloured legs are admissible but green black or white are defects. In the Partridge and Grouse a slight wash, as of indigo, appears to be thrown over them, which in the black assumes a still darker shade: but in all three yellow should appear partially even here beneath the scales, as the pink tinge does in the buff and white birds.

CHINA FOWL 1874

BLACK- dusky metallic hue. Ebony-hued.

BRITISH POULTRY STANDARDS 5TH EDITION 1997.

BLACK

Male and Female plumage: Rich black, well glossed, free from golden or reddish feathers.

In both sexes: beak yellow, horn or black. Comb, face, ear-lobes and wattles bright red. Eyes bright red, dark red, hazel or nearly black. Legs dusky yellow or lizard.

BLUE. In both sexes: Beak yellow, horn yellow slightly marked with horn. Comb, face, ear-lobes and wattles bright red. Eyes dark. Legs and feet blue with yellow tinge in pads

ANOTHER UNKNOWN

Black Cochin is of a rich glossy black plumage throughout

AUSTRALASIAN POULTRY MAGAZINE. 1998

Black males and females.

Beak black, horn or yellow, comb, wattles, ear-lobes and face bright red, eyes hazel or almost black, red or dark red, legs and feet dusky yellow.

BLUE On both sexes the beak is yellow or horn, comb wattles ear-lobes and face bright red, eyes dark and legs and feet blue with a tinge of yellow on the pads.

AMERICAN COCHIN STANDARDS 2010

The Black

Male & female plumage:Rich black, well glossed, free from golden or reddish feathers.

In both sexes: Beak yellow, horn or black. Comb, face, ear lobes and wattles bright red.

Eyes bright red, dark red, hazel or nearly black. Legs dusky yellow or lizard.

The Blue

In both sexes: Beak yellow, horn or yellow slightly marked with horn. Comb, face, ear lobes and wattles bright red. Eyes dark. Legs and feet blue with yellow tinge in pads.

Brahma/Cochin website

Black

Male and Female: Rich black, well glossed, free from golden or reddish feathers. Beak: yellow, horn or black. Eyes: bright red, dark red, hazel or nearly black. Legs: dusky yellow.

Blue

Male and Female: Hackle, back, and tail of male (and hackle of female): one even shade of rich dark blue free from lacing, free from rust, sandiness or bronze. Remainder one even shade of blue free from lacing; pigeon blue preferred. Beak: yellow, horn or yellow slightly marked with horn. Eyes: dark. Legs and feet: blue with yellow tinge in pads.

How many original standards do i need to find???  SO please let me know!!!!!

November 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Valda Jackson

So no reply from the club! Do i take this as a sign of who was responsible for the changes to the APS!?

November 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mell

Hello Valda, The committee is currently working on this issue,we realise it is important. A Letter will be sent to you ASAP.Thanks for your patience, Mellissa Mathe (Vice President).

November 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Valda Jackson

Thank yor Mell. I was beginning to think no one was listening. May i suggest the committee read the posts on face book where Cochin Hungary Robert Diosi states that in HIS country the Cochin standards are BLACK AND BLUE over YELLOW legs!!!!!! As they were here until some misinformed person(s) decided they  knew better! I heard Jersey Giants were being imported into Australia.Will these same misinformed people get the standards of those changed in this country to yellow legs also?  Jersey Giants are an American Breed. They are also a YELLOW skinned breed. BUT! They also have black, blue over the YELLOW. Unlike Cochin their whites must also have daker over the yellow.   Thanks again Mell for the reply!

November 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mell

Hi Valda, Yes, I will certainly raise the point you have made. I  will tell you though anything you write here will be read by the committee, so raise any points you like as we are reading them :). ?Take care, Mell.

November 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

Just to clarify...a letter was sent to Valda in response to her enquiry. Additionally, the club was not responsible for any changes made in the new Cochin standards. The club was a breed club for just the Brahma breed when the 2nd edition standards were being developed and hence we only submitted a draft standard for Brahma to the 2nd edition standards committee. Despite the club's brahma standards submission, numerous mistakes were made with the Brahma standard in the 2nd edition. Cochin were only recently incorporated into the club. We haven't heard from the 2nd edition Australian Poultry standards committee to confirm if the changes to the Cochin standard were intended or a mistake. We will let club members know when we find out any news.

--

Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.
Breeder of Brahma, Cochin, Wyandotte and Araucana.

June 14, 2014 at 4:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.