The Brahma & Cochin Club of Australia

Breeders Directory, Forum, Australian Brahma and Cochin Standards, Poultry Breeding and Genetics Information and much more...

Forums

Forum Home > Breeds and Breeding > Barred Genetics

JoelGiusti

Light barred is a dominant colour to black so the colour light barred has the allele BB but when light barred is put over black (bb) you get 100% barred, but dark barred instead of light, the dark barred offspring carry the allele Bb.. one copy of barring one copy of black.

does this mean that BB is not in fact dominant over black? is it co-dominance?

March 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

Hi Joel

I think I can answer this one, but Luke, correct me if I'm wrong. The Barring Gene is sex linked, so the Roosters can carry a double dose(BB) or a single dose(Bb), where the Hens can only carry a single dose(B) . The gene works by turning the pigment off at specific times in the growth of the feather, if you double the gene up (BB) you get a longer time for the colour to be turned off. So as a double dose(BB), the Roosters will be lighter in colour than their brothers with a single dose(Bb) which will look the same as all the girls because they can only carry a single dose (B). Does this answer your question Joel?

--

March 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JoelGiusti

yeh I think but how do i breed barred females from a rooster who is Bb to hens that are black which is bb? do i put him over them and then use any black hens that come out from his babies back to him??

March 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

The girls are just b, as it is a sex linked gene. They are either B (barred) or b (not barred). If you put a Bb rooster with a b hen, then 50% of the hens will be B (barred) and 50% will be b (not  barred). The same for the roosters. The expression of black will depend on what has been used to create the black, but this is a whole other question. You might get some weird colours but the barring ratio will stay the same! I think at worst you will get 1 in 6 birds being a black barred girl and at best 1 in 4 birds being a black barred girl.

--

March 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JoelGiusti

Must just be my luck that all the chicks that came out barred, (5 of them) are all male :(

March 15, 2011 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

Crikey,

That is very bad luck Joel!! All you can do is try again!

--

March 17, 2011 at 2:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rod Saltmarsh

Hi maybe someone can help me I have a large cuckoo (or barred) Cochin I plan to put him with some partridge Brahmas what colours am I likely to get & can I return to partridge.

Thanks in advance Rod

March 27, 2011 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

I think all the birds will be barred if the rooster is BB, if he is Bb then you will get a range of barred, unbarred and partridge, getting back to partridge will take a bit of egg hatching and depends on the rooster you use but it is possible. I think at best it would be a 1 in 16 egg ratio. It could produce some nice birds though!!

--

April 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rod Saltmarsh

Thanks Franz I shall try this with a few I think the cuckoos parent[s] where crele he is quite large so I shall try a few from him & see how I go

April 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Cochin Man

Well done Franz you are getting quite the expert on genetics I see Lance did his job well. Have you thought anymore about the import syndicate

April 19, 2011 at 5:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

Thanks Paul,

The genetics side of breeding is my driving force! I've decided to stay out of the syndicate, too many variables!

--

April 20, 2011 at 4:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

john

Very interesting!

--

John :D

February 25, 2012 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

Hi All,

Info on Barring can be found on this page on our club website

http://www.brahmacochin.org/poultrybreedingtips.htm

--

Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.
Breeder of Brahma, Cochin, Wyandotte and Araucana.

April 29, 2012 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

Hi Rod,

If you cross a Barred Rooster that is E/E, B/b to a partridge hen that is eb/eb, b/b then you will get birds that are all E/eb in their base colour - 50% will be Black (or close to) and 50% will be Barred (or close to). Some may show amounts of red or silver etc showing through but because e is dominanty over eb they will be mostly black. If you hold on to the Cockerels from this mating that have Barring (B/b) and mate them back to your partridge then you will get some chicks which are Golden crele boys and girls

--

Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.

April 29, 2012 at 1:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

Rod, If your rooster is already E/eb because his one of his parents were crele then you should get golden crele in the first cross. Do you think he is carrying silver or gold? If Silver then you will get Dark too.

--

April 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

khalil shah

hye i am from pakistan and just join this fourm and i love brahma breeds

may some one guide me abut some brahmas that wich pair will be best for oroginal and get exbitional breeds

i have some brahmas

1-light brahma male.

2-buff columbian brahma female.

3-light blue brahma male.

4 buff blue brahma female

November 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

john

If my barred rooster gives all barred males but some non-barred female chicks is it likely he is single barred?

--

John :D

February 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Valda Jackson

Hi, Can you please tell me in plain simple terms (preferably not genetic terms) why one cockerel is barred like the hens and the other is lighter like normal male barred birds when both are from the same line???? Is one bird better to breed with than the other as far as barring goes???

June 20, 2013 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Franz

Hi Valda,

The barring gene is sex linked, so just a little bit of genetics is required to understand this one. Boys have ZZ and the girls have ZW, this is what makes them male or female, so if the gene is sex linked to the Z, boys can get a single or a double dose and girls can only get one dose because they only have one Z. So the lighter boys are double dosed so twice the effect!

--

July 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.